Next I stripped off every last bit of the white top layer of paint and under that I removed a very faded shade of turquoise. Careful sanding took me down to the raw oak.
I then damp cleaned the wood thoroughly with Murphy's Wood Oil Soap and let it dry for several days. Topped this with several applications of matte finish polycrylic. In between coats I used very fine steel wool to knock off any spots in the finish.
I thought it was so beautiful and I was a little apprehensive about the caning part.
Research on the internet told me everything I needed to know and I found a wonderful seller on Ebay to purchase precut sheets of caning material (the kit includes the spline, assorted wood wedges and an easy-to-follow instruction booklet).
I used a very sharp wood chisel inside the groove to clean the cane edges. Only a small bit of wood glue was required inside the groove and the pre-soaked spline was wedged into place.
The process was repeated to cane the chair back and the rocking chair was allowed to dry 24 hours before use. Seriously, caning a chair seat turned out to be a very easy project and the only tools I used were hand tools.
|I love my "new" rocking chair!|