My 9 Square Feet of Sewing Space

 Three feet wide x three feet deep = my 9 square feet of sewing space.

I do love to sew and when hubby and I downsized to our current and humble 640 square foot home, I was anxious about how I was going to find room for my sewing room space. Well, here's how I did it and on a budget too, which made it all the more challenging.

I found the retro Formica-topped table with the awesome black iron legs AND designed with two wooden shelves on the right hand side at my local Hospital thrift shop for a mere $3. Yep! :) It was marked $3 because someone had taken a "permanent" black marker and scribbled all over the turquoise top. I used Windex when I got home and it came right off. Yeah! (Apparently, the Formica acts just like a dry erase board.) Seating is provided by a $5 iron stool that tucks away under the sewing table when not in use. The pillow was on clearance at Ross. :)



Above the sewing table, I hung a small white melamine board using clearance aisle brackets from Lowe's. Under this I mounted an under shelf spice holder to hold extra buttons and sewing beads, etc. These glass spice bottles and holder were originally from Pier 1, but I acquired them at the same Hospital Thrift Shop for $2 (still in the box).

Patterns are stashed in the little thrift shop wicker suitcase. A trip to the local discount store garnered the plastic drawers on casters. It holds oodles of notions and craft bits. It stays tucked under my sewing space table where I can easily roll it out when needed.


A wooden closet trouser organizer was a very affordable solution to storing extra fabric. (These things can even be mounted into corners of a room and take up practically no space at all.) Whenever I go to the mainland to visit family I have some favorite haunts where I go to shop for hidden treasures. I found this vintage porcelain container with lid for a whopping $3 at a tiny little flea market in Billings, Missouri. All my spools of thread and a Ziploc bag of bobbins stay dust free inside this charming piece of the past.


I found this wall decor on Ebay; it's perfect for my sewing space. (The giant scissors actually open and close too.) I put my good sewing scissors, pinking shears and measuring tape inside the thimble wall pocket so they're always easy to find. The vintage round mirror was another $3 bargain at the Salvation Army.

Well, that's my sewing space. Now all I need is some sort of cutting table at the correct height and size (I'm 5'10") that would fold away...that would save my back and my sanity. LOL Otherwise, I'm perfectly content with my little 9 square feet of sewing space. Where do you sew in your home?
Linking to the Sunday Showcase Party at Under The Table and Dreaming and It's So Very Creative Mondays. On Wednesay, I'm attending Someday Craft's Whatever Goes Wednesday and this will be my first time at We're Organized Wednesday. Come see what everyone has been up to!

Comments

  1. Great vintage finds! I love the lidded box! You've done a great job in a small space...I usually just sew at the dining room table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed you found room in a 640 square foot home! I feel BAD now! We are trying to downsize to 2,500!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool scissors!I love how you used that space.
    And thank you for following me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How creative! I'm trying to make a space that's very similar right now for my scrap-booking things so is great inspiration =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very Feng Shui! Every thing neat and tidy! I use the kitchen table when I sew.....which isn't that often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job make the most out of your space. LOVE the sissors...so fun! Thanks for visiting and becoming a new follower :)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you've been able to organize this space so well. I'm hosting We're Organized Wednesday this week and would love for you to join the party. There's a great giveaway too. Hope to see you there. http://organizeyourstuffnow.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. The more I look at your sewing area,the more I love it. Thanks for joining We're Organized Wednesday. Hope to see you at the next party. You're entered in the giveaway too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

So glad to hear from you! Thanks for visiting!

Popular Posts