Fur Kids in Pet Heaven? Meeting Again at Rainbow Bridge....

Having just read that another fellow blogger's family has lost their beloved pet companion, I wanted to share this poem. It's called At Rainbow Bridge and a copy was given to my husband and I by our vet when we suddenly lost our dear Sushi last fall. The words are comforting, but they may be hard to read especially if the loss was very recent. Losing Sushi brought us to rescue our darling Lana from the Humane Society, so I have to think in some ways it was supposed to be this way and maybe Sushi's death was for a purpose. Lana's body has many scars and battle wounds but with patience her trust has returned and she was the salve that helped to heal our own wounds. I do still cry sometimes when I read this poem, but it never fails to leave me with hope. For all of us who have lost beloved fur kids......please take comfort in these words.

At Rainbow Bridge

(Inspired by a Norse Legend)

By the edge of a wood, at the foot of a hill,

is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.

Where the friends of man and woman do run,

when their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,

is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.

On this golden land, they wait and they play,

till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,

for here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.

Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,

their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,

until one day they start, and sniff at the air.

All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,

then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;

together again, both person and pet,

So they run to each other, these friends from long past,

the time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,

has turned into joy once more in each heart.

They embrace with a love that will last forever,

and then, side by side,

they cross over……together.


Comments

  1. Such a neat poem, and comforting. It's hard losing a pet.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Pam thank you so much for the kind words of condolence. I will pass them along, as well to my daughter. She is pretty sad now. Thank you for Rainbow Bridge. I have read it many times before and it always makes me cry. I spent most of the last 48 hrs with my daughter and Comet. The night did not go well and he was brought here to our house in the country at 4:30 this morning to lay in rest

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can never read this without getting teary-eyed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We lost our beloved husky last summer and someone sent me this poem. It is beautiful. By the way, thanks for visiting my blog and for your sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam,
    Is that not the most moving thing you've ever read! I lost the best cat in the World...sweet Rusty..on April 15th. He had been with me for 16 years...longer than any husband or any BF.
    I went two weeks after he "went on ahead" to the Vet to pick up his ashes. In the little tote bag was that poem printed on a piece of rainbow paper. I pulled it out because I didn't know what it was when I was at a stoplight driving home. I started to read it, burst out in sobbing tears, and cried all the way home. I could not even make it through reading it to two friends without crying all over again. It was all just too fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, sorry you lost your pet Sushi.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

So glad to hear from you! Thanks for visiting!

Popular Posts